Regular amounts of Sodium is essential because:
1. helps maintain the right amount of fluids in your body
2. Helps transmits nerve impulses
3. Influences the contraction and relaxation of muscles
Downside:
- Increases blood volume which makes your heart have to work harder which can then turn into increase pressure on arteries
- Can lead to chronic heart and kidney diseases, cirrhosis, fluid retention, increased blood pressure, stroke and even congestive heart failure.
- Leaves you feeling bloated!!!
What foods contain high amounts of Sodium?Here is a list of some top categories:
1. Table salt, baking soda, baking powder
2. Bouillon cubes, powdered broths, soups and gravies
3. Soy Sauce, other sauces and salad dressings
4. Salami, bacon and cured meats
5. Sun dried tomatoes
6. Cheese
7. Snack foods (cheese puffs, pretzels, popcorn)
8. Pickled foods
* alot of processed food in general, even some diet soda
Tips to cut back:
- eat more fresh foods than processed
- opt for low sodium products, but always look at food labels just incase
- remove salt from recipes whenever possible
- limit use of sodium laden condiments
- use herbs, spices and other flavorings to enhance food
- use salt substitutes wisely
So as for me, I'm going to start checking the sodium content in food labels to be aware of how much is really in some of my favorite foods items and I encourage you to do the same.
I won't go into much detail on this, but taking advice from the above picture, I'll give it to you straight......too much sugar is pretty much the devil. There, I said it. Bad timing saying that when Christmas is only a couple days away?? My bad:)

No comments:
Post a Comment